Monday, February 9, 2009

HURRIKAN KRIEG AUF VÖGELN



It was around 4am this morning when I took the pups out to go potty. I was really surprised to see snow. Khan didn't know what to make of it at first and had to drag him a little ways to the stairs to go down to the grass. He figured it out pretty quick and started to eat it. He's so cute. Hank loves the snow and cold. He was all rubbing himself and rolling around in it making his puppy dog snow angels. I love Hank.

It's just after noon now and it's melting away, pretty fast. That's how I like it. I am so done with being snowed in. I was so bored this year that I think I must have taken 30+ pictures of myself sitting in pretty much the same spot in the dining room. The snow was fun but I am sooo over it. No one was willing to come over and I was unwilling to go out driving. Lexi is just not designed for this kind of weather.

Khan was too young to be outside in the snow storms of 2008. From way up north here in Seattle, to way south in Portland, where he was, everyone was pretty much snowed in for a couple of weeks. It was the heaviest dump in years if not decades. Mail delivery even stopped in Portland. Then it all melted and the floods came to start off the year. It was pretty scary in some places and hundreds, maybe even thousands had flood damage to their homes. Some parts of I-5 was under 15 feet of water. That's so hard to imagine but it really did happen. :)

Speaking of catastrophic weather, Khan's name is weather related. I don't know if I have explained it on this blog before but here's some of the story. Sarah, owner and breeder of West Star Kennels, requested the names of the pups to be Hurricane related. This was due to the trouble and stress she had to go through in coordinating the breeding of Maggie and Jake. Hurricane Ike was fast approaching Texas and all deliveries would be stopped. Khan is an AI baby. Hurricane Ike was one of the biggest storms of the year. It was just in the nick of time and the great efforts of many people that Khan and his litter mates were made to be. :) In honor, all the pups are named in relation to storms or hurricanes.

So, since I couldn't settle for an actual name of a Hurricane, I decided to name him Hurrikan which is Hurricane in German. The sound Kan stood out in his name so I researched Genghis Khan and really liked what I read. I liked the name Khan and on top of everything about his name, Khan has the same letters as Hank. How perfect is that? :) Ha ha, now my friend Raven calls him Khannie and I call him Khanathan or Mystikhan.

Raven is responsible for getting me into GSPs. So far I'm really glad she did. :) Khan is the sweetest puppy. She takes her dog Blitz to shows and I really liked his papered name, IAT's BLITZKRIEG AUF VÖGELN (Lightning War on Birds). Its all German and crazy. Raven and I got to talking and dreaming about breeding GSPs and found that KRIEG AUF VÖGELN sounds pretty bad ass for a kennel name. So, Khan's full name evolved into WESTSTAR'S HURRIKAN KRIEG AUF VÖGELN. It meets the breeder's requirements and this way both of our stud dogs are already KRIEG AUF VÖGELN. :) I really like it. Now, the task is to champion them. We want champions in conformation and field so we have a lot of fun times ahead!!



Here they are outside on the deck. Aren't they adorable??? I don't know if this is a myth or if it actually works but I heard that if the dogs stayed outside in the colder air, their coats naturally get thicker. I'll have to look that up but that's one of the reasons I'm trying to get them to stay outside more and I think the sun is good for them too. :) They are so cute together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send us a note!