Saturday, February 21, 2009

Puppy Class


This is Khan's mom, the day before Khan was born. He was one of the big one's Sarah's sister spoke about from the ultra sound. :) Maggie really did look like a pot bellied pig.

She gave birth to the pups the next day, I think started around 2pm? When I called, number 3 was just born. That's Khan. By the time I was off the phone, she was on number 5. I was on the phone about an hour, I think. Number 8 was stuck for a couple of hours, and they all had to go to the vet. He survived and then out came number 9 which was pick of the litter.

Khan is the breeder's favorite. He's got a really great personality and doesn't get scared of things which will be great for all the things we will be doing. I'm considering agility and of course we will be hunting. I really love his coat too. He was my favorite when I saw everyone on the day of pick-up. I really loved the color of and pattern of his coat. He was impressively beefy. Real thick and wide. GSPs are not supposed to be super thick and he's not overly super thick, just heavy boned. Anyway, I figure I have to love the pup even if they don't champion so I better pick one that I like, so I chose the powerhouse. Number 3 became Khan. :)

We attended our puppy head start class and he made quite an impression on everyone! They all loved his coat pattern and complimented me on how beautiful he is. When he was done jumping on everyone and the kids, they realized how heavy he actually is for such a small thing. He's a real thick boned, beefy pup. He's already about 15-16" at the withers. He had a growth spurt but it has slowed now. The trainer used to show her Aussie and she was really liking Khan. He's gorgeous.

The class on our first day was mainly all socializing and lecture. Next week we are supposed to have our pups under much more control and sitting on command. We shall see how we do. :) I'll bring treats. Khan is VERY, VERY food driven. I'm really glad about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send us a note!