Saturday, December 27, 2008

Pet food home made.



Well guess what. I'm going to start making home cooked meals for my dogs and cat. I feed awesome dog food called Origen and Acana, both made in Canada with regional ingredients. Unfortunately the commercial dog food scare is really bothering me so, I'd like to explore new ground.

Hank is and has always done well on any of the foods I've given him. We started with Royal Canin for Labradors and even gone as low as Nutro (still better than most). He has done very well on any food. I've never had any problems. I simply want the best for him and now Khan. I think I'm going to embark on making our own dog foods. How hard could it be?

I'll need to find a great Veterinarian Nutritionist to help make sure we are on the right track with the food but aside from that, we can freeze the food so I can make it in batches, therefore, how hard could it be? I bet it comes out cheaper or about the same price as our current pet food cost. I spend about $60 a month on just Hank so with Khan I can expect to double that. I'll budget $120 a month on home made food for the pups. Now to find the vet nutritionist and some cool recipes.

40% Protein, 30% Grains, %30 Vegetables for the pups and 65% protien, 35% vegies for Nadia. Easy enough. Calcium and vitamin supplements and I think we are good to go. Make some doggy treats, maybe try out some cat treats and viola, complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send us a note!